Wednesday, 4 August 2010

A glimmer of hope

With a change in the weather today and even a hint of sunshine, I decided to take my bins out to work with me for once. The first sighting of the day was a whopping 7 tents sprawled across the grassy plain just to the north of the broch! So much for having the island all to myself, while my field assistant is on the mainland and the boat is out of the water undergoing repairs. Later, I spotted 14 kayakers hugging the east shore of the island and put two and two together. I’ve been permanently looking over my shoulder the rest of the day, never knowing who might be watching me. Aside from breeding birds, all I could knock up was the spectacular array of 5 Redshank, 4 Turnstone, 1 Rock Dove, 19 Greylag Geese and 3 Hooded Crows! Surely something a little more interesting has got to rock up sometime soon? At least Turnstone is a new one for the garden list.


Oh well, I’ve retired to the bothy with a beer, awaiting darkness and the vague possibility of a glimpse of the Aurora Borealis. I’ve heard on the grapevine that there could be a good chance of catching sight of it from Shetland tonight...